Friday, 2 January 2009

Double Che....

....Alicia and I managed to see an old fashioned double bill on New Years Day. It meant we sat in darkness, not talking for the majority of Jan 1st, but maybe that was best after revelries the night before! We saw parts 1 & 2 of Che at the Rich Mix cinema.



As usual, my ignorance is staggering - so although I know bits of the 'Che' story and see his image plastered everywhere, I really didn't know what to expect. In terms of history, it was remarkable what Castro, Guevara and the Cuban rebels managed to achieve in the liberation of the country. What I hadn't appreciated was Che's attempt, failure and death in Bolivia some years later.



Directionally, Steven Soderbergh has done a fantastic job in the contrasting styles of both films - Part One shifting time frames between black & white and colour scenes, culminating in Che's address to the United Nations assembly. Part Two is altogether quieter and beautifully shot in muted blues and greys. Both Alicia and I loved the films and felt a slight knowledgeable reward to boot!

2 comments:

DebonaireBillionaire said...

I WANT TO SEE THIS FLICK...


WHERE DID YOU SEE IT?

Kate said...

This blog is good roy, but my friend fi's is better, she has a whole bit about how much she loves me. what more could anyone want from a blog eh?

http://youropinioniswrongandiambest.blogspot.com/