Sunday, 22 February 2009

Oliver!...

....Ruth & Andy had bought Alicia & I tickets to accompany them to Oliver! as a Christmas present. Yesterday was the date booked and we headed to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane to take our seats.



Alicia and I love musicals, although I was a little unsure of the Oliver! story line other than the famous, "Please Sir, can I have some more?" scene. I enjoyed the show - particularly the first half, where the stage design and art direction was incredible. However, from the start I was disappointed by the performance of Oliver himself. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh on the youngster, but he looked lost, dazed and confused on stage whilst others around him stole the show. In particular the Artful Dodger and Fagan, (played by Rowan Atkinson in a blend of Mr. Bean and Blackadder comedy), were triumphant.



Nancy brought a mockney, (almost Eastenders!), quality to proceedings and displayed a huge vocal talent. I was less familiar with the second half of the show - much darker and less comedic as it is. As a result I left the theatre slightly underwhelmed and was baffled by one or two attempts at a standing ovation. It was good, but not that good.

No comments: