Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Where the wild things are....

....I blogged about this film a couple of months ago, as soon as I knew it was going to hit the big screen. Tonight I got the opportunity to go and see it.



Based on the classic children's book by Maurice Sendak, it has been brought to life by the wonderful Spike Jonze.



Several reviews I had read up to now, were not favourable - stating the film was too long and drawn out, with little content. I disagree. Jonze's wonderful direction and the beautiful cinematography capture the spirit of the book perfectly. We are drawn in to and whisked along with young Max on his wonderful adventure, so that the 100 minutes pass by in a flash. It is Max's performance in particular that is startling. Played by Max Records with such natural and infectious ability, he alone makes us feel what it's like to be a kid again.



The Wild Things are refreshingly un-CGI, reminding me of The Never Ending Story, from when I was young. This added yet more charm and child-like fantasy to the proceedings. Karen O's soundtrack tops off a wonderful film that kids, but mostly adults should dash out and see straight away!

No comments: