Wednesday, 10 March 2010

McQueen is dead, long live McQueen....

....I realise I am very late in posting this. Last month Alexander McQueen tragically took his own life. At the time he was seemingly at the peak of his artistic powers, his latest collection almost complete and due to hit the fashion week runway.



Well this week, posthumously, it did. Whether the garments were ever totally completed is hard to tell, but in a show that served as much as a memorial to the great British designer, they certainly looked spectacular.



Whilst I have a keen interest in fashion, I rarely look at the catwalk shows that decorate fashion week as they tend to be so high-fashion that they are more an art form than a possibility to wear. Sure, I had more interest in this collection owing to it being McQueen's last, but it is one that, alive or dead I can appreciate.



The designs seem quite regal, elegant even. I still have memories of McQueen's shows from the 90s that were all punk, spikes and tartan. He's grown up here and the gold-leaf-esque detailing and pattern on the garments are beautiful and seem to represent the Byzantine artistic period. Perhaps more poignantly there are also references to angels and eternity.



You get the feeling this collection will be remembered everso, alongside the memory of this truly groundbreaking designer.

No comments: