Saturday, 20 March 2010

Music videos surreal deal....

....I've noticed a recurring theme. A recurring artistic direction if you like. Stemming from a recurring influence of the surreal. It began with Yeasayer's 'Ambling Alp' video, that I posted in December last year. I loved the song, but was equally intriguied by the direction of the video.



I called the song a 'mystical, magical mess', which I uphold, but so is the video itself. Totally surreal, but utterly fascinating. In particular the mirrored, distorted imagery that is pasted over the faces of characters. I hadn't seen anything similar until today, when I stumbled across two videos that each use a similar technique. I have heard of neither before, but I like the sound of both. Firstly 21 year old Australian, Jonathan Boulet:



And also a band called TV Glory:

Whether or not they have seen one another's work, I don't know, but it reminded me more and more of the great surrealists of the day, Dali and Magritte. Like they've taken the principles, (and indeed visuals), from these paintings and re-moulded them for the (digital) video age.


Rene Magritte, 'Decalcomania'.


Salvador Dali, 'The persistence of memory'.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appreciation to my father who told me regarding this website, this web site is in fact awesome.


My web blog: The web’s premiere DJ community

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you
writing this write-up and also the rest of the website is
extremely good.

Also visit my web-site; The web’s premiere DJ community

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much,
However I am encountering troubles with your RSS.

I don't know the reason why I cannot join it. Is there anyone else having similar RSS issues? Anybody who knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanks!!

Also visit my website :: http://wetfouru.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi there mates, its wonderful article on the topic of teachingand fully defined,
keep it up all the time.

My blog :: www.casodiscreto.com

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to go to see this web site, for the
reason that i wish for enjoyment, as this this web page conations in fact fastidious funny stuff too.


Take a look at my web site; geniusproductstore.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest
to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this
website.

Here is my site; astrologerg.com

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
It's the little changes which will make the most significant changes. Many thanks for sharing!

Review my web-site ... solavei review

Anonymous said...

I do consider all the concepts you have presented on your post.
They are really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are
very short for starters. May you please extend them a bit from subsequent time?
Thank you for the post.

Feel free to surf to my web page; I Knew You Were Trouble (Kim Viera Cover)

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
If you know of any please share. Many thanks!

Here is my web page: http://dnslookup.fr

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article post.
I like to write a little comment to support you.


Also visit my website: mixtapelaboratory.com

Anonymous said...

Fastidious response in return of this query with
genuine arguments and explaining everything regarding that.



Also visit my web site solavei

Anonymous said...

It's really a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Have a look at my website :: http://app2.handys-and-more.com/