Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Kick Ass....

....I'd get black fingers if I thumbed through every single page of newsprint that this film has covered. It's been everywhere and I was desperately hoping that it would not be to the detriment of the film itself. It got to a point where I stopped reading the articles and simply made a pledge to see it as soon as possible. So I did.



This film is quite honestly like no other I have seen recently. I went in expecting it not to live up to the hype - but it it did. Not to live up to the violence - it truly did. Not to live up to the Marvel traditions - it did. Not to live up to it's supposed slacker humour - it did.



To be honest, it's only failure, I think, was its age certificate. Granted a 15Cert release when surely it should be an 18. But that's a whole other discussion and one that perhaps proves that I am getting too old and turning in to my dad!

I left the film visually violated, still chuckling and wanting more. It is a true cinematic treat and it's British too, kind of. The screenplay is adapted by Jane Goldman, (the pneumatic chested red head married to Jonathan Ross if you want to know), from the original comic book series of the same name. And whilst the cast and director are American and the film set in the U.S, it manages to retain a certain British feel.



The said cast are fantastic, with Nicholas Cage finally getting back to oddball form as Big Daddy, Chloe Moretz totally infectious, convincing and C-word-spitting as young assassin Hit-Girl and Aaron Johnson pulling off his role as super hero wannabe, Kick Ass, with aplomb. As a fan of Marvel film adaptations, in particular the Spiderman trilogy, I was pleased that this fantasy element wasn't lost beneath over played humour and overblown violence. It all just sat together, much to the credit of Matthew Vaughn's direction.





You all think you know the story by now, but once you've seen the film, you realise you don't at all. Certainly don't judge it on the trailer, which doesn't do it justice. Go and see it for yourself. It's perfectly set up for a sequel too, which is great news. Great, great news.

No comments: