Monday, 28 June 2010

Black Keys, Roundhouse 23.6.10....

....Rich, Liam and I went to see the Black Keys last week. We kicked of with a vast tasty pizza at La Porchetta over the road, before heading to the gig.



As they took to stage, I hardly recognised singer Dan Auerbach, as his huge beard and long hair had been cut off. Along with drummer Patrick Carney, the two make up the band, in a sparse, but noisy blues-rock White Stripes-esque line up.



I like the band when I listen to them on record, but tonight, live, I wasn't really feeling it. The scuzzy guitar and thumping drumps left Auerbach's vocals with little cut through above the din. not so bad I suppose, when the riffs are memorable like some are.



Eventually songs seemed to blend in to one another, but for stand outs like, 'I got mine' and 'Busted'. Definitely my least memorable show at the Roundhouse, which is a shame because I do rate the band, but maybe they're better listened in, than out.

No comments: