Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Brutality against Brutalism....

....I'm really in to Brutalism. Architecturally speaking of course. There is London's South Bank where it stands proud, (but still often ridiculed), and oop North, near my family home, is the Trinity Square car park in Gateshead.



Alas the latter structure is being demolished this week, rather cruelly I feel. Perhaps more famous, (certainly locally), for being used for filming in Get Carter, this building is iconic rather than a blotch on the landscape.



Newcastle / Gateshead councils have done a tremendous amount in recent years for the arts and architecture in the area, so I am somewhat surprised that they're going through with it. There is a good article here referring to the 'unlucky' architect in question too. Shame. Real shame.



'You're a big man, but you're outta shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.'

No comments: