Thursday, 16 September 2010

Gastrotypographicalassemblage....

....Yer what? Well, I was only introduced to this supercalifragilistic word when reading Richie's blog. He is super in to type, whereas I only dip in and out. But, in a nutshell it refers to the 11 meter wide typographic wooden wall that legendary designer Lou Dorfsman, art director for the CBS Network, created and installed at the CBS offices in 1966.




To celebrate Dorfsman's work, with this as a centre piece, (a reproduced section at least), Kemistry Gallery are also exhibiting his original art directed work for CBS. Kelly and I popped along to the Private View tonight to check it out. And to sup on a free beer of course.



Although obviously no substitute for the real thing, to see a reproduction of the wall was fantastic, but I was more impressed by the newsprint pages upon the wall, each showcasing ad after ad that he created for CBS. Each one typographically and art directionally thought out. Negative space as key as positive. Bold and to the point. Basically, unlike any advert that you will see now, because clients are too scared to buy them.



A small, but perfectly formed show and certainly a must see for any media savvy type, or those with even a passing interest in typography. Lovely.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the finest blogs on the web.
I'm going to highly recommend this site!

Feel free to surf to my webpage NFL Jerseys Wholesale

Anonymous said...

What's up it's me, I am also visiting this site regularly,
this web site is really pleasant and the people are in fact sharing good
thoughts.

Review my blog post Louis Vuitton Outlet

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks, However
I am having problems with your RSS. I don't understand why I cannot join it. Is there anyone else having the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

My blog post; Christian Louboutin

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Its actually amazing piece of writing, I have got much
clear idea concerning from this piece of writing.

Here is my weblog ... Tory Burch Outlet

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you
relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just
posting videos to your site when you could be giving us
something enlightening to read?

Visit my web blog; Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site
and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog
posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even I
achievement you access consistently quickly.

my webpage; Louis Vuitton Outlet

Anonymous said...

After I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify
me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now
on each time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment.
Is there an easy method you can remove me from that service?

Thanks a lot!

Here is my site ... Michael Kors