Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Vacances Cranhouse 2010....

....A while back, it was conceived that we would try and reproduce our France holidays from yore. I'm not sure where it originated, perhaps Andy, perhaps Ian. Maybe even Dad. Not me. But it was a brilliant plan. To recreate one of those numerous summer holidays where the Palmer and Barker families joined and retreated to a deserted French Gite. We had to compromise a little to achieve this - well, a lot - the country for a start. We settled upon Suffolk and The Cranhouse in Elveden.


The Cranhouse

So not France at all. Not that we noticed. The two famelies were united once more, a mile down a gravelly path in a detached cottage, reminiscent of every French trip we could remember. And this time, an added bonus - each of the 'kids' brought their respective partners. Ian brought his wife Susie on the eve of their first wedding anniversary. Ruth brought Andy, James Theresa and I was with Kelly.


All of us, mid walk.

Twelve family and friends to spend a long weekend together, to reminisce, to play games, swat flies, argue, drink wine, eat cheese. More wine and a bit more cheese. It was set to be perfect. And it was. We all arrived on Saturday afternoon and quickly set about watching videos of old holidays. There was a particular year most anticipated - that of 1991, Chateau Renault, when extreme boredom, (no doubt) and slight lunacy led the kids to perform a music video, of sorts, to a Jive Bunny medley. Oh how we laughed. And oh how we recreated it.......that's right. As punishment for losing the Ian & Susie hosted pub quiz, Dad, Kelly, James, Ruth and Joan put on something, erm, special for us.



Dad even marked the occasion, (back to the holiday now, rather than that performance above!), by handing out some mugs he'd got made which became the only place from which we'd drink our hot beverages, (see slideshow below). On that first night we had a takeaway and played games. It was to be a familiar but welcomed pattern for the rest of our stay. We had intermittent walks. A couple of BBQs. Perfect. Oh, but there was one misdemeanour too - Kelly managed to accidentally slice her hand open on a broken glass in a washing up bowl.


Cut under cover

After turning green and fainting, (not to mentioned me flustering and panicking), Eric & Ian held her together with tape before she slept painfully on it. The result was going to A&E the next day and 5 stitches in the wound. A painful blip that didn't even deter Kelly from having a great time, nor the rest of us.
Our final morning had the lovely coincidence of falling on Ian & Susie's first wedding anniversary, so a champagne breakfast was in order.



It was a holiday to remember and one that reminded us, (if indeed we needed it), why we're such good friends, what great fun those annual France holidays actually were and that we'd really, really like to do it all over again. Please?!

(the slide show)


13 comments:

JP said...

Long time admirer, first time commenter....I have just remembered poor Kelly getting wailed in the face by Susies basketball throw - she will have been glad to get back to work where the risk of injury is less severe!

1. Roy Barker said...

Ha, quite true. I must have missed the throw in question, though. Glad to see you're reading the pages...

1. Roy Barker said...

Ha, quite true. I must have missed the throw in question, though. Glad to see you're reading the pages...

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

Also visit my website - exercises For jumping

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both equally
educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.

The issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
Now i'm very happy that I stumbled across this during my search for something relating to this.

my website ... workouts to improve vertical leap

Anonymous said...

What i do not understood is actually how you're now not actually much more neatly-favored than you might be right now. You are so intelligent. You recognize therefore considerably relating to this topic, made me individually believe it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women are not involved unless it is one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs great. Always care for it up!

my web page - teensnpa.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
and found that it is really informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if you continue this in future.

Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!



Also visit my web-site; workouts to improve vertical

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask.
Does operating a well-established website like yours take a large amount of work?

I am completely new to operating a blog however I do write in my journal daily.
I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

My blog post: http://Porath.org/

Anonymous said...

If you are going for finest contents like me, simply visit
this web page every day for the reason that it gives quality contents, thanks

Here is my blog post: vertical jump exercises

Anonymous said...

I always used to study piece of writing in news papers
but now as I am a user of web so from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.



Also visit my web page - Exercises To Improve Vertical Jump

Anonymous said...

For most up-to-date information you have to pay a visit world wide web and on the web I found this site
as a best website for hottest updates.

Feel free to surf to my web-site exercises to Increase vertical

Anonymous said...

This design is incredible! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job.
I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

my site - exercises to increase vertical

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button!
I'd certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll
settle for book-marking and adding your
RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this site with my
Facebook group. Talk soon!

Review my homepage :: exercises to jump higher exercises to improve vertical exercises to improve vertical jump exercises to improve vertical leap exercises to increase vertical exercises to increase vertical jump exercises to increase vertical leap exercises for vertical exercises for vertical jump exercises for vertical leap workouts to jump higher workouts to improve vertical workouts to improve vertical jump workouts to improve vertical leap workouts to increase vertical workouts to increase vertical jump workouts to increase vertical leap workouts for vertical workouts for vertical jump workouts for vertical leap vertical jump exercises vertical leap exercises vertical jump workouts vertical leap workouts